What is KVPY & IJSO?
The department of science and technology of the government of India is funding on-going National Program of Fellowship in Basic sciences, named the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna (KVYP) initiated to attract highly motivated and exceptionally talented enthusiastic scholars to a basic science course and to take up research carrier in sciences, engineering and medicines. The Kishore Vaigynaik Protsahan Yojna (KVPY) is started in 1999 and administered by Indian institute of science, gives an opportunity for scholarships and contingency grants up to pre-Ph.D. level to selected students.
The main aim of KVYP scholarship/ fellowship program is to pinpoint students with special ability and aptitude for research; to ensure the progress of most skillful scientific minds for research and development in the country; help them to understand and achieve their potential in their studies and encourage them to take up research carrier in science.
The International Junior Science Olympiad (IJSO) is a major international team competitive examination open to the secondary school students under sixteen all over the world. This is an annual individual and team competition in the Natural Sciences, includes all basic subjects of Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics). IJSO exam requires a voluminous and excellent knowledge range in all the three sciences and mathematics, as this competitive exam is known for its complexity.
The International Junior Science Olympiad program is of 5 stages which are as follows.
- Stage 1: National Standard Examination in Junior Science (NSEJS)
- Stage 2: Indian National Junior Science Olympiad (INJSO)
- Stage 3: Orientation cum Selection Camp (OCSC) in Junior Science
- Stage 4: Pre-departure Training Camp (PDT) for IJSO
- Stage 5: Participation International Junior Science Olympiad (IJSO)
IJSO is a purely educational event established for defining the importance of the Natural Sciences in the general education of the young people and all aspects of their lives.
The cardinal aim of IJSO is:
- To encourage the further development of scientific knowledge and the formation of friendly bond within the scientific community.
- To promote the carriers of the brilliant students as scientists and future scientific advancements.
- To arouse the active interest of students in the field of Natural Sciences and reward the pursuit of excellence in scientific endeavor.
It’s a Global competition for students in which top students from each country can be selected for the contest and every student can compete with their counterparts.