If you are preparing for the GATE then here is the way in which you can prepare for the GATE and score maximum.
Let us divide the preparation among three parts:
- General aptitude
- Engineering mathematics
- Engineering Subjects
How to prepare for General Aptitude for GATE?
General aptitude: It is considered easy part of the GATE exam, compared to engineering mathematics and engineering subject questions, questions from the general aptitude is uncomplicated and can help you score well as its weightage is 15 marks.
This part of the examination is further sub divided into two parts:
- Verbal ability: In this section questions will be asked from the following areas:
- Sentence / Spelling correction: This type of questions will be based on grammatical errors that aspirant has to be corrected.
- Sentence completion: Here questions will be of fill in the blanks type in which candidate has to complete the sentence with suitable answer.
- Synonyms and antonyms: applicant has to answer with the similar or opposite meaning asked in the GATE.
- Verbal analogies: In this type you will be given certain scenario explained by words and basis on which you have to deduct the relationship, for example: Pointing to a photograph of a boy Suresh said, “He is the son of the only son of my mother." How is Suresh related to that boy? Answer is Father.
- Critical Reasoning: Here your ability to analyze the logical instructions and conclude on the basis of the assumption and interpretation will be tested.
- Coding and Decoding: Some phrases will be given to you that you have to decode and then recode in some other format.
This part is comparatively easy, aspirant can score good marks in this area and one should practice daily in all the above areas to get a good score, this section can really give a boost to your score in the GATE.
- Numerical ability: In this section of examination you may have to face question from the following category:
- Numerical Computation / Arithmetic: It is the most basics operation in the mathematics like addition, subtraction, Multiplication and division but in GATE nothing is simple you will be asked problems which can be solved using just simple operations but problems may not be simple as it sounds, one has to practice regularly to solve problems accurately and efficiently.
- Numerical Estimation: In this section question which can be answered quickly by analyzing for example: “How many 3's are there in the following sequence which are neither preceded by 6 nor immediately followed by 9? 9366395937891639639”, answer is 2. It is specially designed to check how fast you can work on data provided to you.
- Numerical Reasoning: In this type of questions one has to find answer by reasoning on the information provided, date provided for reasoning is based on real life problems like financial data or data samples taken in the lab of a test result.
- Data Interpretation: In this test your ability to understand data from the charts, graphs, tables and other data interpretation methodologies is used to show you some real life facts and based on these facts and figures you have to answer the questions.
- Critical Reasoning: In this type you have to apply the logic that suits the most to the problem and based on it you have to conclude your answer.
- Other important topics: You can face questions from topics like sequence and series, Probability, profit and loss, speed/velocity and time, ages equation, work and remuneration, Percentage, distance and direction problems, modulo problems, clock problems, tangent and triangles problems.
General aptitude is the part in which if you have focused properly then you can obtain the best result from the section which can give a huge boost in your final GATE score.
How to prepare for Engineering Mathematics for GATE?
Engineering mathematics: It is very important part of the GATE exam and every aspirant have to give their best for preparing for engineering mathematics as it carries weightage of 15 marks in the examination.
In this section of the GATE exam you can face questions from the following topics:
- Linear algebra: From this area of engineering mathematics you may have to face questions from the topics like matrix algebra, problems of Eigen values and Eigen vectors, problems from system of linear equations, finding rank of matrix and find determinant of matrix, one should give special focus to Eigen values and matrix related to problems as they are asked frequently in the examination, you must have good understanding of fundamental concepts of linear algebra to solve it in the time frame dedicated to each section in the GATE exam.
- Calculus: You will have to solve problems related to the maxima and minima, limit, gradient, curl, divergence, vector integral theorems and vector analysis part, as these are the topics that are repeated in the papers of engineering mathematics, if you want to excel in the calculus then you need to have a sound knowledge of the fundamental concepts of the calculus.
- Differential equations: In this section of engineering mathematics problems from the first order linear and non-linear equations, Cauchy’s equation, Euler’s equation and Bernoulli's equation is asked often in the GATE exam.
- Complex functions: The important topics from this section is Cauchy-Riemann equations for analytical function, residue method of integral and Taylor series; this topics are hot favorite of the paper setters in the GATE so go through thoroughly and solve enough problems to give you confidence about the complex functions related problems.
- Probability and statistics: From this section important topics for probability are random variables, Poisson’s distribution, joint and conditional probability and Bayes’ theorem. In statistics emphasize on mean, median, mode, uniform distribution, normal distribution and coefficient of correlation. You can score with ease, as there will be no difficult calculation to be carried out.
- Numerical methods: It is easy to solve but takes bit of time to execute as you have to do the lot of calculation, you need to learn all the formulas Newton-Raphson method, Bisection method, integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule. To score good in this area you need to remember all the formulas and calculate without any error.
- Transform theory: It includes questions from the topics like Fourier transform, Laplace transform and z-transform.
- Discrete mathematics (For CS and I.T): In this area you will face problems related to sets, relations, partial orders and lattices, Proportional and first order logic and combinatorics. This part is only for the stream computer science and information technology.
Practice the entire above mentioned topics to score high in the engineering mathematics of the GATE.
How to prepare for Engineering Subjects for GATE?
Engineering Subjects: This section of the GATE is the most important of all the other sections, as it carries the weightage of 70 marks in the GATE examination.